The Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System provides quality, patient-centered health care to Veterans throughout 23 parishes in southeast Louisiana. We meet the needs of Veterans through seven community-based outpatient clinics located in Slidell, Hammond, St. John Parish, Houma, Franklin, Bogalusa and Baton Rouge, as well as a new Veterans Medical Center in New Orleans. For more information, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, keyword VANewOrleans.
THERE ARE 2 VACANCIES LOCATED IN THE AMBULATORY SPECIALTY CARE CLINIC , 2 VACANCIES ON THE PATIENT ALIGNED CARE TEAM (PACT) AND 2 VACANCIES IN THE COMMUNITY BASED OUTPATIENT CARE CLINIC
The Ambulatory & Primary Care LPN has the knowledge, skills and self-direction to carry out and complete nursing procedures, comprehension patient education, broad assignments and nursing care expected in the outpatient, ambulatory care setting. Duties include participation in complex ambulatory procedures common to primary care, spinal cord, medicine/surgical subspecialty clinics and treatment modalities in response to chronic and acute medical conditions.
Incumbent works under the guidance of a RN and/or the medical staff physician/provider with general overview by RN or medical staff. LPN demonstrates competency and possesses knowledge to appropriately determine clinical care needs, based upon patient history or medical chart entries. LPN provides preventive health and chronic disease management includes patient education and screening inquires allowed within the practice of nursing and approved by nursing and medical leadership.
- Demonstrate the ability to vary the order and sequence of routines to accomplish care needs based on patients' condition, physician orders or established protocols/procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs, objective/subjective symptoms reported or identified and is able to modify the plan of care or process to meet the emotional, physical and social factors exhibited by the patient.
- Demonstrate the ability to implement and input data and orders into CPRS as required by facility protocols and policies.
- Administers and documents selected medication via parenteral, intradermal, inhaled, oral or topical routes per SLVHCS policy.
- Reinforce educational needs of patients related to diagnostic tests, procedures, health education and personal health planning, disease prevention, health promotion and disease management.
- Utilize motivational interviewing strategies when engaging in face-to-face or non face-to-face encounters.
- Recognize and responds to emergency situations, anticipating emergent protocol and implementation of it and seeks assistance of the RN and/ NP/PA to initiate appropriate emergency intervention as directed.
- Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with to her staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
- Follow clinic and team routines related to the implementation of the Patient aligned Care Team (PACT) model.
- Provide comfort measures and activities of daily living during clinic visits.
- Perform the following procedures: takes digital photos, performs complex- dressing changes, wound management, urostomy, ileostomy, and colostomy care, tracheal and nasopharyngeal suction, suprapubic catheter care, designated urological procedures, and specialized dermatological procedures.
- Insertion of foley catheters.
- Collection of laboratory specimens (urine, blood, culture and sensitivity)
- Assist with specialized outpatient exams during gynecological, otolaryngeal and ophthalmology, visits.
- Perform tonometry and visual screening acuity measurements.
- Maintain and determine an adequate supply of medications and supplies.
- Perform clinical intake, preventive medicine screening, pain education and allergy screening and document adverse reactions.
- Provide tracheotomy care including suctioning, cleaning, and change of inner cannula, cuff deflation, and dressing changes.
- Assist with patient teaching, using approved guidelines. Document on appropriate forms and/or in CPRS and refer veterans or caregiver to the social worker, dietician or other members of the team as requested or needed.
- Work as an effective member of the clinical team.
- Determine subjective and objective symptoms that require referral to the RN or provider for intervention.
- Assist the RN with the coordination of home care and post clinic visits.
- May contact outside agencies for reports or follow up care at external facilities.
- Communicate and document irregularities or variances in nursing policies/procedures and standards that require clinical intervention.
- Interview family, patient or significant others re: patient illness or descriptions of illness and needs.
- Complies with infection control standards and RME guidelines.
Work Schedule: 0730-1600, M-F, Evenings and Weekends as patient care dictates.
Security Clearance: Public Trust - Background Investigation
Supervisory Status: No
This is a Bargaining unit position.
Relocation/Recruitment: Incentives are not authorized.
Functional Statement Title: Licensed Practical Nurse (Ambulatory & Primary Care)
(Functional statement is available for review in the Human Resource office)