Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Job Function:
Apply advanced scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to complete complex assignments with little to no supervision; contributes to the development of new principles, concepts, products, processes, etc.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
1. Independently or lead a project team to identify, plan and conduct medium to large-size projects that require custom, risk-managed execution plans, investigations and/or equipment; manage multiple often concurrent projects; make difficult decisions regarding priorities between projects with thorough understanding and focus on life cycle costs;
2. Understand the business needs of the company and have a thorough understanding of customer and clinical needs as they relate to projects;
3. Lead and/or participate on cross-functional teams to support organizational goals;
4. Design and lead complex experiments, often with multiple variables and competing demands; independently execute and/or direct others in the execution of project tasks by applying novel engineering theories, concepts and techniques;
5. Conceptualize complete solutions; create or coordinate the design solutions for novel or complex problems; explore multiple alternatives;
6. Serve as subject matter expert (SME) or independent technical expert (ITE) on a project's technical matters; may interface with senior management, executive management, external firms or agencies; may coordinate technical matters between organizations;
7. Responsible for completing documentation in a timely manner and in accordance with business standards;
8. Lead and/or participate on cross-functional teams to support organizational goals;
9. Other tasks and duties as assigned;
10. Understand and comply with applicable EHS policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
11. Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the Quality System.
Position Accountability / Scope:
works without appreciable direction; exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment; completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective for desired results; develops scenarios to give management a set of viable alternatives; relates risk and gain to critical success factors and recommends action; decisions or recommendations would typically result in achievement of critical organizational objectives and affect the image of the organization's technological capability.
Bachelor's degree (preferably in Engineering, science or a closely related discipline is desired) or equivalent technical experience and demonstrated competence required; additional post-graduate education may contribute toward the desired years of experience; Typically requires 8+ years of significant engineering and / or operational experience to develop the competence required to meet the skills and responsibilities of the position;