Provides customer oriented high quality patient care, in a safe and efficient manner while carrying out the mission, vision and values of Air methods. In every situation the Flight Paramedic/Flight Nurse does what is right for the patient based on a thorough assessment and implantation of Patient Care Guidelines and appropriate care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers safe and efficient patient care by providing customer oriented high quality care to each patient throughout the transport process.
- Utilizes Patient Care Guidelines to provide high quality patient care.
- Performs expanded scope practice policies and procedures where permitted by state / local EMS regulations to deliver high quality patient care in the transport environment.
- Monitors, records, and reports to receiving staff, patient condition and response to interventions.
- Properly utilizes aircraft radios and navigation tools to assist in the safe and efficient transport of the patient.
- Represents Air Methods in public relation and safety in-services to improve awareness and safety.
- Leads and coordinates daily activities of Air Methods Community Based Services (CBS) medical staff.
- Provides duty schedule and assures proper medical coverage for all shifts at assigned base(s) (monthly schedule, ill call coverage, vacation coverage, approves schedule changes).
- Reviews payroll for accuracy and overtime issues.
- Receives feedback related to flight issues/concerns; resolves issues/concerns and/or refers to appropriate person for resolution.
- Recommends and implements changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of program performance.
- Assigns responsibilities and projects to medical crew members.
- Serves as a role model for provision of advanced level medical care.
- Maintains and monitors medical crew licensure, certifications, clinical requirements, OSHA training and testing, and advanced procedures tracking in conjunction with clinical base educators and/or clinical compliance coordinators / manager.
- Ensures medical crew members receive appropriate medical attention and follow-up for work-related injuries and exposures utilizing occupational health provider, submits appropriate worker's compensation paperwork (located on the Intranet under Human Resources) to the Clinical Manager.
- Participates in the interviewing of medical flight crew candidates and provides input for hiring decisions in collaboration with the interview committee, as requested.
- Assists in completion of new employee orientation in collaboration with the clinical base educator and/or clinical compliance coordinator / manager.
- Prepares and collaborates with Clinical Manager to complete annual employee evaluations.
- Initiates initial disciplinary action (verbal warning with appropriate documentation) for administrative and behavioral deficiencies in collaboration with Clinical Manager and HR. Delegates assignments and holds medical employees accountable for project completion.
- Functions as a resource for dissemination of new information and problem resolution.
- Assures proper use, maintenance, and repair of equipment and supplies. Participates in the evaluation of new equipment/supplies. Oversees inventory and supplies at base level.
- Assists Clinical Manager in developing and revising standards.
- Participates in Quality Assurance and Improvement through systematic problem identification, and collaborates with the Clinical Manager to correct deficiencies and to evaluate implemented change. Assists with chart review and QA/QI data collection as assigned.
- Actively seeks Public Relations and Outreach Education opportunities for assigned base(s) service area. Participates in local EMS/hospital/advisory committees as Air Methods CBS representative.
- Oversees maintenance and organization of crew quarters. Assures that assigned base(s) meets regulatory agency requirements, safety standards, and infection control policy.
- Administers Ride-Along program, if applicable.
- Maintains all requirements and fulfills all essential functions of a flight crew member.
- Actively participate in the Safety Management System (SMS) implementation and initiatives. Be familiar with the SMS Policy Manual and SMS Procedures.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, either orally or in writing.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing/Paramedic; and three years' critical care/emergency care experience or as required by state/local EMS regulations.
- BSN or Bachelor's degree in a health-related field preferred.
- Pre-hospital / Flight experience preferred.
Licenses & Certifications Required
- Current RN/Medic license(s) for states of practice.
- EMS or MICN certification/license as required by state / local EMS regulations.
- Healthcare Provider BLS; ACLS; PALS or equivalent (AHA courses if state or county required) and TNCC/ITLS/OHTLS advanced provider (if state or county required).
- Specialty certification (CFRN, CTRN, CCRN, CFP, or CEN) are required within two years of hire.
- Advanced Trauma Course requirement: (1) of the following certifications are acceptable: TNCC, ATLS/ATCN, TNATC or CAMTS-approved advanced trauma course within 6 months of hire. (Please note advanced skills lab must accompany all of the above mentioned advanced trauma courses).
- NRP lessons 1-9 within 6 months of hire.
- NIMS Training IS 100, 200, 700, 800 and HazMat by completion of orientation.
- Fiscal Balance: acts to support and sustain Company financial stability to ensure continued success.
- Accountable to Each Other: acts with integrity in all day-to-day decisions, so that others can rely on you to do your best to ensure we are safe, impactful and successful.
- One Mission, One Team: celebrates team members' strengths, abilities and contributions.
- Customer Advocate: partners with customers to champion their success, provide solutions to their struggles, and provide value to every relationship.
Skills as required to practice as a paramedic as defined by assigned state scope of practice and advanced practice skills as defined by Clinical Director(s) and Medical Standards.