Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Job Function
Lead or support manufacturing operation data systems as required. Provide technical support to Manufacturing Operations as required.
Core Job Responsibilities
Develop manufacturing asset structure for data collection and data contextualization
Support and maintain manufacturing operation data systems including hardware and software. For example:
- Control Systems
- Communication between industrial control systems
- Batch management software applications
- OSI PI, ZPI, EFT data servers
- Software change management and asset monitoring servers
- Manufacturing Human Machine Interfaces (HMI)
- Inline and Offline inspection software database
Lead or assist with electrical control and instrumentation system design projects including, but not limited to, the following tasks:
- Preparing project scope documents based upon user requirements,
- Preparing cost estimates,
- Preparing project specific specifications,
- Preparing bid packages,
- Designing or managing the design of industrial control systems,
- Managing construction of electrical control systems on equipment or manufacturing systems,
- Developing protocols and attending factory acceptance tests for constructed equipment or systems,
- Managing the installation of industrial control systems, and
- Managing the start-up of industrial controls systems.
Coordinate with IT support team to maintain secured IT infrastructure for manufacturing operation.
Lead or assist with manufacturing software system validation to be compliant with 21CFR part 11.
Assist with manufacturing data visualization and reporting needs.
Anticipate future needs of the business. Benchmark internally and externally. Recognize indicators of future opportunities; initiate plans to acquire new skills required by changes in technology.
Integrate financial data with technical data. Analyze complex interdisciplinary problems and identifies their impact; establish probabilities; draws conclusions reflecting broad business needs; understand organizational and financial impact of recommendations, e.g. apply regulatory requirements and recommend best course of action; set complex design and process requirements.
- Mentor others by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
- Interface frequently with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represent the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Prepare written communication. Convey information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols..
- Establish networks. Follow through on project goals; contribute willingly and incorporate the ideas of others; share resources, knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g. participate in team meetings; serve as a functional expert in cross-project design review.
- Build relationships. Initiate and cultivate open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others' needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments, e.g. offers assistance; interact effectively with stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organization.
- Resolve underlying problems. Identify full range of customer/ client needs and propose solutions to address them; make alterations in products or services to better meet (recognized or unrecognized) customer need, e.g. partners with an outside vendor to provide a better deliverable.
Position Accountability / Scope
- Report through centralized engineering organization. Work under general direction. Independently determine and develop approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Responsible for standardization and best practices, replicated globally. Require frequent interactions with peers across sites and global regions.
- Identify and quantify technical risks and their consequences relative to the success of part of a project; recommends appropriate action, e.g. reports calculations and recommendations in terms concrete enough for management to make an informed decision.
- Decisions or recommendations would typically achieve department/project objectives.
- Drives functional performance that ensures the highest standards in quality, customer service, and regulatory compliance are met.
A Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or closely related discipline, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 5+ years of significant IT, engineering, and/or operational experience. A post-graduate education / degree may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Has demonstrated competency within the area of manufacturing IT systems.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and IT and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Has a technical background in health care, nutritional products, consumer goods, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.