The Software Specialist - Species Conservation
is part of a small team of conservation scientists and software developers within the Species Conservation Toolkit Initiative (SCTI) to create and test analytical methods and software tools that are used globally by wildlife managers, researchers, and students to advance the conservation of species. The Software Specialist will, alongside of conservation scientists and managers of species conservation programs, ensure that the software tools meet conservation needs and are used effectively, including developing, maintaining, providing technical support for, and helping to build capacity in the use of computer modeling tools that advance risk assessments, conservation planning, and management for threatened species.
Primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Participates in the design of computer modeling tools for species conservation assessments and planning for wildlife populations in the wild and in captivity.
- Implements new methodologies for species conservation through extending existing software tools (Vortex, PMx, Outbreak, and MetaModel Manager) and developing new tools.
- Provides technical support and helps to provide training to conservation professionals and graduate students using modeling methods and tools.
- Prepares reports for scientific publication and presentation.
- Other related duties as assigned.