APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Dean of Students is responsible for promoting Christ-centered student thriving and engagement across APU's Azusa and Regional Campuses. The Dean of Students provides vision and direction for a diverse, Christian campus community and culture, creating a challenging and supportive co-curricular environment consistent with the developmental objectives of the university.
- Master's degree in higher education, leadership or a related field required.
- Doctorate (or commitment to obtain) preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years as a professional in higher education with demonstrated progression in scope and responsibilities.
- Understanding of the current landscape and the ability to address the challenges facing higher education, including those particular to Christian higher education.
- Evident commitment to cultural competence and valuing diversity.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Participates as a member of the Student Affairs administrative team in overseeing division-wide strategic planning and initiatives. Develops policies and practices which enhance the ability of Student Affairs to interact with all divisions to meet the goals of the university.
- Actively initiates and cultivates campus partnerships across the academy, creating synergy and collaboration to provide a seamless student experience.
- Provides oversight and supervision for the Associate Dean of Judicial Affairs and Operations, Associate Dean of Student Engagement, Director of Residence Life, and Director of Graduate and Professional Student Engagement, and these respective areas.
- Ensures ethical practice and compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements.
- Models responsible stewardship through managing departmental budgeting processes under their span of care.
- Assesses student satisfaction, learning and engagement and utilizes available data to inform decisions and strategic priorities.
- Coordinates Student Affairs' crisis response through partnerships with the Dean of Student Wellness and Department of Campus Safety. Acts as primary administrator regarding any significant student issues on campus (e.g., student protest, etc.).
- Serves as a member of the Campus Relations Team, potentially as the spokesperson for any student-related issues. Serves on other university committees as deemed appropriate by the Vice President.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required by the Vice President.
- As a member of the Student Affairs leadership team, this individual must demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to growing in their own personal faith in Christ;
- Commitment to the mission of APU and the core values of the university and Student Affairs;
- Creative thinking and ability to pivot and adapt;
- Effective collaboration with various campus and external community partners;
- Commitment to promote diversity through their span of care and the larger university community;
- Takes initiative to understand the current campus climate and student needs;
- Ability to forecast and understand how to effectively impact all students' spiritual development, level of engagement, and holistic well-being.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and adjust activities and programs to meet the needs of students;
- Ability to use data to inform calculated risks to create new opportunities to enhance transformational impact on students during their time at APU.
- Competent with Microsoft suite and Google suite.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated competence in program development, implementation and assessment.
- Dedication to their own and their staffs' professional development.
- Ability to manage and work with a diverse team of creative and visionary personalities.
- Ability to oversee large-scale events.
- Ability to work under pressure, maintaining a professional demeanor while multitasking in a high performance environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive, Christ-like attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian faith-based higher education for its students.
- Repetitive motions and sitting at a computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
- Grade 17: $91,587 - $119,063 annual
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.