California State University, Dominguez Hills Foundation
About the CSUDH Foundation
The California State University, Dominguez Hills Foundation was incorporated in 1968 as a partner of the University to provide services and develop and enhance programs that are an integral part of the University's educational mission. CSU Dominguez Hills is a highly diverse, metropolitan university primarily serving the South Bay area of Los Angeles County. Established in 1960, CSU Dominguez Hills is one of the 23 campuses that comprise the California State University system.
About the Position
CSUDH Toro Tutors are academic support leaders and will be significant contributors to Compton Unified School District and Centinela Valley Union High School District. Toro Tutors will provide motivation for learning and act as role models to their students. They will also work with students on an individual basis and in small group classroom settings.
This is a part-time, non-exempt, non-benefited position.
Employment at the Foundation is on an at-will basis and can be terminated by either an employee or the Foundation at any time with or without cause or advanced notice. Permanent status can neither be obtained nor granted.
$12.00 - $14.00 per hour
- Tutors will engage in academic activities with selected students either one-on-one or with small groups, depending on the school site.
- Main responsibility is to help students learn, reviewing content with them, explaining how to solve problems and checking for understanding.
- Help students develop study skills and organization techniques to help improve their academic performance.
- Provide academic support during assigned hours.
- Consistently maintain appropriate and professional communication with supervisor, staff, teachers, school administration and students.
- Report all relevant information to the project manager and school district in a timely manner.
- Participate in all required tutor training.
- Utilize effective tutoring techniques shared through training; promote the utilization of resources and independent learning.
- Serve as a role model for all students seeking academic assistance.
- Display enthusiasm for the subject matter you will be tutoring.
- Ensure a safe learning environment and organized program.
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have the experience that reflects the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge and competence in the subject matter.
- Enjoy tutoring the subject for which services are being provided.
- Be able to explain concepts to others effectively.
- Effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success.
- Work comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Exhibit patience and positive attitudes in establishing an encouraging learning environment.
- Possess good organizational skills and complete paperwork in a timely manner.
- Enrollment status in at least 6 units per term/semester at a 2-year or 4-year institution or College graduate with a Bachelor's degree. Must maintain a minimum grade point average (G.P.A) of 2.0 to qualify for or continue employment.
- Passionate and knowledgeable in the content area
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly qualified tutors with substantial career experience in the content area
- Ability to plan and implement lesson plans, as needed.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment as needed.
- Ability to interface and interact with all levels of staff (administrators, teachers, and students).
- Self-motivated, responsible, and professional attitude at all times.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to arrive at the worksite at the scheduled time consistently.
- Must pass a criminal background check (LiveScan fingerprinting) and Background prior to beginning employment with children
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days (no reimbursement).
Employees in this position work primarily indoors in a classroom environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2019, and the position will remain open.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Foundation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Foundation Human Resources Office at (310) 243-1070.
This position requires new hire/re-hire employment verification to be processed through the E-Verify program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in partnership with the Social Security Administration.
If hired, the successful candidate will be required to furnish proof that they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
Conditions of Employment
Employment for this position is contingent upon Compton Unified School District approving and placing tutors at one of their school sites. If Compton Unified School District does not place a tutor at one of their school sites or removes a tutor from a school site, then the Foundation may not be able to continue the employment of the tutor due to all tutor position funding being provided by Compton Unified School District.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for any position that the CSUDH Foundation deems sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on the potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSUDH Foundation or individuals in the university community. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current employees.
Employment at the Foundation is on an at-will basis and can be terminated by either an employee or the Foundation at any time with or without cause or advance notice. Permanent status can neither be obtained