Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground - we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children's physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through professional training services. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org ( http://www.playworks.org ).
Playworks Interns are provided the opportunity for practical application and skills development in a professional setting. In the Mid-Atlantic, our AIM is to reach 97 schools and 42,500 students by the year 2020. As the Mid-Atlantic team is in growth mode, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects as well as an exciting team.Here is where you come in:
As a Playworks Intern, you will apply your expertise and learned theories to support Playworks Mid-Atlantic. You will expand and ignite engagement of Playwork's donor communities (especially foundations). This is a great opportunity to contribute to a critical area of fund development and gain skills in project management. This position will be uniquely tied to long-term financial sustainability, impact expansion/storytelling and relationship building for Playworks Mid-Atlantic. This intern will be working with the development team. In your role as a Development Intern, it is expected that you will support achieve the following duties:
- Research, write and submit grant proposals for NEW funding from foundations
- Manage all aspects of CURRENT government, foundation, and corporate grants including the calendar and coordinating deadlines
- Create and edit funder profiles
- Create a working lead list and presenting opportunities monthly
- Create and submit funding reports for the Executive Director, Development Manager and Board of Directors
- Become familiar with the key success indicators and reporting requirements of all programs, ensuring that all funder requirements are met
- Assist staff with preparations for funder site visits
- Attend funding information sessions as needed
- Assist in development campaigns and events
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary and interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe and healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE ( https://youtu.be/F5BVhJIK5eA ).Qualifications:
Skills you will adopt as an intern here:
- Interest and/or experience in designing and executing on PR communication plans
- Experience planning and executing events with volunteers
- Passion for play, urban education, youth development, play and non-profits
- Self-motivated, team oriented and reliable. Don't have to be asked twice or reminded about a project
- Highly organized and has the capacity to manage multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills
- Flexible and openly seeks advice and best practices
- Comfortable with people and possible school visits
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications and/or Salesforce preferred but not required
- Ability to project a professional and positive image of Playworks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
Compensation, Location and Schedule:
- Learn how play can impact sustainable change in youth
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation and management
- Learn from and directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Experience and/or strong interest in grant writing
- Experience as a writer in a variety of disciplines
- Experience with research and foundations a plus!
- Contribute to public awareness of social service and youth development issues
- Have a program mentor to guide you and teach you the playworks culture
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Apply learned skills in a professional and supported environment
- Gather valuable feedback to support employment and personal growth
- Network with professionals in Playworks departments, corporate, foundation, government and non-profit communities
- Have fun and work with an energized and impassioned team!
This highly competitive fall, winter and spring internships are 15-20 hours per week and are unpaid. We are accepting currently enrolled students with degrees in education, health and/or management as of their sophomore year. Graduate students welcome. Interns will spend time in the office and will utilize public transportation or their own cars to visit schools around the city. The office is currently located at 1411 K St NW, Suite 601, Washington DC; 2601 N Howard St, Suite 310 Baltimore MD; and in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.