Reports To: Communications Officer
GMF's ommunications team strives to position GMF as a leading voice on transatlantic and world affairs. We work through earned media and through GMF's website and social channels to elevate the visibility of GMF's message, experts, and network. We build on GMF's strong base as a respected policy institution to find innovative means of making GMF's transatlantic perspective heard by decision-makers and global publics. Our work entails close collaboration across GMF's offices, programs, and business units, as well as with partner organizations.
The communications intern should expect to support a range of communications activities. The intern will also have the opportunity to participate in policy meetings and may be asked to summarize key points for the team.
This internship is unpaid but offers an ideal opportunity to acquire substantive professional experience for those interested in a career in communications, public policy, or international affairs.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Work with the communications team on website maintenance including posting GMF experts' blog entries, commentary, and publications.
- Assist in editing content for the website;
- Assist in posting to GMF's social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook;
- Assist in development of GMF multimedia products, including podcasts and videos;
- Research media and stakeholders for various GMF products and programs and assist with tracking GMF experts in external media;
- Support GMF events, including set up and staffing;
- Assist in conference preparation including editing bios, posting content to conference websites, and identifying social media influencers.
- Support in the development of collateral materials for internal and external audiences;
- Other tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Have excellent analytical and writing skills and previous Communications experience;
- Have demonstrated interest in communications through previous professional or academic experience working in media, public relations, publishing, or related field;
- Be creative, organized, self-directed, and responsible;
- Be comfortable working independently, as part of a team, and multi-tasking;
- Have a basic understanding of photo editing, website editing, and new media development.
Start and length of internship:
- Preferred start date: September 4, 2019 or September 12, 2019
- Preferred time commitment: at least 25 hours/week between 9 AM to 5 PM through December.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.