Communications Intern - STEM Education
Concentration on Communications & Technology
The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, brings together many stakeholders to improve livelihoods, empower communities, strengthen civil society, support human rights, protect the environment and respond to natural disasters in Latin America and the Caribbean. Established by the Organization of American States in 1962, PADF has worked in every country in the region. In 2017 PADF reached 10.3 million people through sustainable development initiatives in Latin American and Caribbean countries.
PADF is a vibrant organization that allows interns a hands-on, valuable opportunity to gain exposure to an international nonprofit working in the fields of:
- Economic opportunities, health, nutrition and education
- Democracy, governance and human rights
- Peace, justice and security; resilience
- Disaster management and climate adaptation.
We are committed to fostering a dynamic learning and professional development atmosphere and will offer mentoring and guidance throughout your time with us. The PADF team works collaboratively and dynamically and is looking forward to providing professional development and mentorship to a new team-member so that he or she can develop valuable, marketable skills in communications and use of technology for new business development.
PADF is seeking an innovative and self-starting individual to assist with increasing the visibility of our unique regional STEM Education program, called #STEMamericas. The intern will work closely with the Education team and the Marketing team. The intern will focus on creating publicity for current STEMamericas donors and potential STEMamericas donors alike, with different messages that support the expansion of the program.
This opportunity is best suited for an innovative and self-starting individual who has a knack for information design and an interest in data, technology, and business.
Part-time (up to 30 hours per week). PADF will provide a small stipend and transportation subsidy.
September 4, 2019 (date is flexible and pending availability)
Period of Performance
Negotiable but preference will be given to candidates who can intern for over 6 months, up to a 1 year.
Reports to Communications Manager
Must have completed at least 85% of coursework towards a college degree, focusing on Graphic Design, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Education, or similar.
Language Proficiency Required
Excellent oral and writing abilities in English. Comprehension skills of written and oral Spanish or French are desirable.
Work Skills Required
Digital-savvy. Knowledgeable in social media. Can synthesize technical language and make it accessible to wider audiences. Good at strategic messaging. Highly organized, detail-oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team. Must have very strong work ethic, be results-oriented, and self-motivated. Must have a demonstrated ability to prioritize, complete various tasks under tight deadlines, and work well independently. Interest and experience working in international development is highly desirable.
Knowledge of Corporate Social Responsibility is a plus.Learning opportunities include:
- Refining specific skills within the realm of marketing (strategic messaging, design, writing, etc.)
- Learning about the new business development process
- Developing applied skills in the creation of strategies, plans, and concept papers to support new project development activities and assisting in proposal preparation and design in close consultation with the Executive Director and other PADF senior staff.
- Mastering the incorporation of efficient communication tactics to ensure maximum leverage of PADF strategic messaging to private sector companies and foundations.
- Refining practical skills by organizing the resource development materials on PADF Sharepoint/SPARK.
- Experiencing working as a valued team member by collaborating with the Communications and Programs teams to help enhance resource development initiatives.
- Amplifying networking opportunities by attending relevant conferences, workshops or meetings as assigned and then reporting on these events.
- Developing leadership opportunities by providing input and feedback on ideas for potential prospects for new activities to be funded by potential donors or new strategies for programs under implementation.