Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground - we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children's physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through professional training services. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org ( http://www.playworks.org ).
Playworks Interns are provided the opportunity for practical application and skills development in a professional setting. In the Mid-Atlantic, our AIM is to reach 97 schools and 42,500 students by the year 2020. As the Mid-Atlantic team is in growth mode, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects as well as an exciting team.Here is where you come in:
As a Playworks Intern, you will apply your expertise and learned theories to support Playworks Mid-Atlantic. You will support financial planning, accountability and budgeting work. This individual will be exposed to all aspects of budgeting, market expansion, pricing and implementation and will participate at meetings with organization leaders and decision makers. Unique to this position, the intern will report to the Executive Director directly as well as the Board of Directors and Sustainability Task Force. This is a great opportunity to contribute to a critical area of operations and gain skills in financial management. In your role as a Finance and Budget Intern, it is expected that you will support achieve the following duties:
- Assist Executive Director (ED) in developing budgets and financial forecasts
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
- Data entry as assigned
- Support Sustainability Task Force as needed
- Draft the financial plan associated with Virginia expansion
- Assist in financial and operational analysis
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary and interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe and healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE ( https://youtu.be/F5BVhJIK5eA ).Qualifications:
Skills you will adopt as an intern here:
- Interest in fund development and donor relations (fundraising and/or sales experience a plus!)
- In the process of obtaining a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related degree
- Previous accounting or financial management experience a plus!
- Passion for play, urban education, youth development, play and non-profits
- Self-motivated, team oriented and reliable. Don't have to be asked twice or reminded about a project
- Highly organized and has the capacity to manage multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills
- Flexible and openly seeks advice and best practices
- Comfortable with people and possible school visits
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications and/or Salesforce preferred but not required
- Ability to project a professional and positive image of Playworks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
Compensation, Location and Schedule:
- Learn how play can impact sustainable change in youth
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation and management
- Learn from and directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Learn and/or expand your knowledge of financial management and market expansion
- Contribute to public awareness of social service and youth development issues
- Have a program mentor to guide you and teach you the playworks culture
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Apply learned skills in a professional and supported environment
- Gather valuable feedback to support employment and personal growth
- Network with professionals in Playworks departments, corporate, foundation, government and non-profit communities
- Have fun and work with an energized and impassioned team!
This highly competitive fall, winter and spring internships are 15-20 hours per week and are unpaid. We are accepting currently enrolled students with degrees in education, health and/or management as of their sophomore year. Graduate students welcome. Interns will spend time in the office and will utilize public transportation or their own cars to visit schools around the city. The office is currently located at 1411 K St NW, Suite 601, Washington DC; 2601 N Howard St, Baltimore MD; and in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.