Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground - we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children's physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through professional training services. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org ( http://www.playworks.org ).
Playworks Interns are provided the opportunity for practical application and skills development in a professional setting. In the Mid-Atlantic, our AIM is to reach 97 schools and 42,500 students by the year 2020. As the Mid-Atlantic team is in growth mode, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects as well as an exciting team.Here is where you come in:
As a Playworks Intern, you will apply your expertise and learned theories to support Playworks Mid-Atlantic. You will expand and ignite engagement of Playworks constituents and supporters through various communications and marketing channels, increase visibility in the community and highlight stories of the students and Playworks impact. This intern will be working with the marcom team. In your role as a Marcom Intern, it is expected that you will support achieve the following duties:Website:
- Work with National and local office to update content and images to promote student stories, news, events, service and advocacy. Research, write and edit content as well as co-edit images and video
Branding, Campaigns, Emails and General Duties:
- Research and create Playworks Mid-Atlantic blog
- Draft e-newsletter monthly
- Interview constituents to write stories, engage donors, promote program, events and report relevant news (blog and e-news)
- Coordinate with social media intern to incorporate video whenever possible
- Support advocacy efforts and consensus building around the area of child health, education and play
- Co-create marcom and publicity strategy and plan
- Create and manage editorial calendar
- Collaborate with and support staff with brand advancement to include campaign strategy, planning, execution and outreach (National and local campaigns)
- Design, draft and execute on marketing emails (events, donors and otherwise)
- Increase awareness of Playworks as a national organization with a strong local presence - storytelling!
- Co-create and support annual appeal and individual donor campaigns and all events
- Strengthen communication with our current partners and donors (i.e. drafting outreach emails to community and corporate partners)
- Research and propose communication strategies for engaging current and future stakeholders
- Coordinate with Social Media intern to manage Playworks Mid-Atlantic's social media outlets - including creation of tailored messaging based on target audiences
- Experience with graphic design a plus
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary and interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe and healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE ( https://youtu.be/F5BVhJIK5eA ).Qualifications:
Skills you will adopt as an intern here:
- Creative spirit and interest and/or experience with brand strategy and/or campaigns
- Interest in designing and proposing communication plans
- Passion for play, urban education, youth development, play and non-profits
- Self-motivated, team oriented and reliable. Don't have to be asked twice or reminded about a project
- Highly organized and has the capacity to manage multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills
- Flexible and openly seeks advice and best practices
- Comfortable with people and possible school visits
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications and/or Salesforce preferred but not required
- Ability to project a professional and positive image of Playworks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
Compensation, Location and Schedule:
- Learn how play can impact sustainable change in youth
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation and management
- Learn from and directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of integrated marketing and communications plans
- Contribute to public awareness of social service and youth development issues
- Have a program mentor to guide you and teach you the playworks culture
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Apply learned skills in a professional and supported environment
- Gather valuable feedback to support employment and personal growth
- Network with professionals in Playworks departments, corporate, foundation, government and non-profit communities
- Have fun and work with an energized and impassioned team!
This highly competitive fall, winter and spring internships are 15-20 hours per week and are unpaid. We are accepting currently enrolled students with degrees in education, health and/or management as of their sophomore year. Graduate students welcome. Interns will spend time in the office and will utilize public transportation or their own cars to visit schools around the city. The office is currently located at 1411 K Street NW, Suite 601, Washington DC; 2601 N Howard St, Suite 310 Baltimore MD; and in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.