Reports To: Head of Research and Policy, Alliance for Securing Democracy
GMF is seeking an intern to assist with research on foreign efforts to undermine democratic countries and institutions this fall. The intern will be responsible for tracking and compiling research and developments in this area, including real-time developments in Europe, the United States, and/or China. The intern will benefit from exposure to GMFs network and high-level events, as well as interactions with various policy actors. Since the internship takes place in Washington, interns are often able to attend various related events on behalf of the initiatives staff. The internship offers an ideal opportunity to acquire substantive professional experience for those interested in a career in public policy or international affairs. It is unpaid.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Compiling existing research on foreign government attempts to undermine key democratic states and institutions, including in-depth analysis of the authoritarian toolkit.
- Preparing a weekly newsletter, compiling daily press clips, and producing summaries of relevant hearings and events.
- Arranging meetings and events focused on this set of issues.
- Building a database of contacts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent analytical, writing, and research skills.
- Familiarity with and interest in Russia and China, democratic institutions, European politics, technology policy and/or a background in data science and analytics.
- Fluency in English is required; Russian or Chinese ideal; additional European language(s) a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working independently.
- Graduate student pursuing a degree in International Relations, Regional Studies, Security Studies, or a related field or a recent graduate of such a program.
- Graphic design and/or data visualization skills a plus.
- Previous experience in a think tank, foundation, NGO, government body, media outlet, or similar organization preferred.
Start and Length of Internship:
- Preferred start date: September 4 or 12, 2019
- Time Commitment Negotiable (Minimum 20 Hours Per Week); 35 Hours Per Week Preferred.
- 4 months with a possibility of extension
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer