Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground - we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children's physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,500 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1.25 million students directly and through professional training services. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org ( http://www.playworks.org ).
Playworks Interns are provided the opportunity for practical application and skills development in a professional setting. In the Mid-Atlantic, our AIM is to reach 97 schools and 42,500 students by the year 2020. As the Mid-Atlantic team is in growth mode, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects as well as an exciting team.Here is where you come in:
As a Playworks Intern, you will apply your expertise and learned theories to support Playworks Mid-Atlantic. You will focus on the outcomes of expanding engagement of Playwork's school networks as well as providing current research about expansion in Virginia, Maryland, DC, and West Virginia,. You will gain valuable, real-world experience in non-profit program research, design, relationship building, implementation and communications as you work with the program team. In your role as a School Partnerships, Programming and Research intern, it is expected that you will support achieve the following duties:Program Support:
- Logistics management for events and activities
- Support program implementation and manager/coach needs
- Collaborate with communications team to expand brand awareness of Playworks program impact
Data Collection (program impact) and Research (program expansion):
- Actively support evaluation process
- Visit with and communicate regularly with school administration and DCPS/BCPSS/HCPSS/AACPS to collect data from Playworks schools including key stakeholder testimonials about program impact
- Research expansion targets in DC, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia for potential partnerships, engagement opportunities, and/or interest in Playworks programming
- Research and build a database around current issues relating to play
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary and interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe and healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE ( https://youtu.be/F5BVhJIK5eA ).Qualifications:
Skills you will adopt as an intern here:
- Interest in the functionality of school systems and leveraging partnerships for greater community impact
- Interest and experience (preferred but not required) in research and evaluation
- Passion for play, urban education, youth development, play and non-profits
- Self-motivated, team oriented and reliable. Don't have to be asked twice or reminded about a project
- Highly organized and has the capacity to manage multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills
- Flexible and openly seeks advice and best practices
- Comfortable with people and possible school visits
- Experience using social media which may include: Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications and/or Salesforce preferred but not required
- Ability to project a professional and positive image of Playworks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
Compensation, Location and Schedule:
- Learn how play can impact sustainable change in youth
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation and management
- Learn from and directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Have a program mentor to guide you and teach you the playworks culture
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Apply learned skills in a professional and supported environment
- Gather valuable feedback to support employment and personal growth
- Expand your research and data collection/evaluation skills
- Contribute to public awareness of social service and youth development issues
- Network with professionals in Playworks departments, corporate, foundation, government and non-profit communities
- Have fun and work with an energized and impassioned team!
This highly competitive fall, winter and spring internships are 15-20 hours per week and are unpaid. We are accepting currently enrolled students with degrees in education, health and/or management as of their sophomore year. Graduate students welcome. Interns will spend time in the office and will utilize public transportation or their own cars to visit schools around the city. Interns will spend time in the office at 1411 K St NW, Ste 601, DC; 2601 N Howard St, Ste 310 Baltimore, MD; and in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis