All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
High School diploma / GED and two years of medical or veterinary office experience. Must have reception experience i.e. high volume telephone and face-to-face meet and greet customer service experience. Must have experience with and be proficient in Microsoft Office programs or similar software. General knowledge of excel spreadsheets.
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria:
- Veterinary call center, front desk, or admissions experience.
- Medical appointment scheduling experience.
- Customer Service orientation, outstanding interpersonal skills, and problem solving skills.
- Effectively multi-tasks and reprioritize to meet job expectations.
- Willingness and ability to cross train and assist in other client areas as assigned.
- Ability to problem solve in emergency setting.
Days/hours: Monday-Friday, 2:30pm-11:00pm
Essential Functions (70%)
Front Desk (SAH)
- Delights clients and visitors by welcoming them to the VMC and provides a caring, reliable and knowledgeable first contact point.
- Efficiently and accurately admits patients ensuring all quality standards are met. (ie verifying rDVM, client, and patient demographics)
- Assists with accurate electronic medical record keeping by ensuring all authorization forms are signed and completed records are forwarded to Medical Records for scanning.
- Utilizes established protocols for walk-in clients.
- Provide a caring, reliable and knowledgeable first contact point for VMC.
- Timely check in and admission of patients, take deposits as appropriate.
- Ensures the billing process is initiated and adds exam fees as appropriate.
- Notify proper personnel of the client's arrival following specific guidelines.
- Place required documents in patient medical record.
- Prepare medical records with appropriate forms for the service they are seeing.
- Be sure visitors are registered before entering the clinic; notify proper personnel of arrival.
- Assist clients with prescription pick-up by notifying After Hours Dispensary staff.
- Give directions to vendors, clients and visitors.
- Maintain appearance of front desk and lobby area according to VMC cleanliness standards.
- Help to maintain department appointment schedules.
- Give parking permits to all appropriate customers.
- Answer incoming calls from within the VMC (staff, students, clinicians calling Front Desk).
- Remote admission and discharge of Large Animal clients.
- Uses established protocol for calling in after-hours specialty teams
- Follows accounting protocols for opening/closing registers.
- Follows hospital guidelines for taking deposits and discharging patients.
- Quickly and efficiently identifies distressed clients/patients and escalates to appropriate staff member when necessary.
- Ensures visitors are registered before entering the clinic, notifying proper personnel of arrival before clients enter clinical area.
Call Center (25%)
- Triage incoming Small and Large animal emergency cases; utilize internal triage tracking system as appropriate.
- Enter appointments on Large Animal, Small Animal, and West Metro emergency schedule as appropriate; notify client of emergency procedures and cost.
- Process scheduling calls based on standards and guidelines for each service.
- Process general information calls by answering questions, taking messages and redirecting incoming calls.
- Process appropriate paperwork for new clients.
- Liaison between clients and clinicians.
- Problem-solve trouble calls.
- Answer questions and explain procedures for interns, senior veterinary students, and student technicians.
- Required to work a minimum of two holidays per fiscal year.
- Willingness to cross train and assist in other areas as assigned.
Salary Range: $15.69 to $22.49/USD hour
The Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) has served the community for more than a century. It is the most advanced, full-service referral care center for large and small animals in Minnesota. The VMC sees more than 35,000 cases annually, with specialists available in all areas of medicine and surgery. More than 50 of the veterinarians on staff have undergone several years of additional training to become board-certified specialists in a particular area of veterinary medicine.
The Veterinary Medical Center is comprised of the Small Animal Hospital for dogs, cats, and other companion animals, the Piper Clinic at the new Leatherdale Equine Center, for horses, and the Large Animal Hospital, which treats farm animals, and occasionally, zoo animals.
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.