The Back Office Assistant for the Breast Care Center of Hoag Hospital and its affiliates (the "Organization") performs a variety of clerical duties and back office operations in support of the patient care activities, ensuring even patient flow and continuous communication within the Breast Care Center, referring physician offices and Organizational staff.
The Back Office Assistant displays and practices a work style that reflects the mission, vision and values of the Breast Care Center as well as the Organization. Participates in the continuous quality improvement process. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures, including the use of specialized instrumentation, Quality Control requirements and preventive maintenance.
- Greets and assists multiple patients, ensuring the promptness of their service:
- Utilizes positive verbal tone when speaking with patients/customers in person or on the telephone.
- Answers telephones, schedules appointments and handles front-office responsibilities as needed.
- Performs general back office assistant duties for the quality care of the patient and efficient operations of the back office of the Breast Care Center.
- Collecting and recording patient data, including obtaining vital signs.
- Collects and handles lab specimens according to protocol. Demonstrates a working knowledge of clinical duties and proficiency in handling lab specimens.
- Assists physicians with examination or procedures
- Providing patient information as directed.
- Stocks supplies in examination rooms and sets up rooms appropriately for each physician.
- Assures that medical supplies are sufficiently maintained in a cost-effective manner.
- Assists with receipt, distribution and storage of supplies.
- Maintains clean, well-organized and properly stocked work areas.
- Accommodates changes in workload within the department.
- During light workload situations, seeks out additional tasks/duties for the department.
- Strives for proper communication with physicians and Breast Care Center team members. Able to take directions from physicians without hesitation to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Demonstrates flexibility in accepting schedule and work assignments
- Keeps supervisor informed when problems may interfere with work being completed on time.
- Participates in the training of new employees and offers guidance, assistance and direction to less experienced personnel.
- Adapts to changes or unusual circumstances to promote cooperation and minimize disruption to working environment.
- Reports to the Director in a timely manner all "near misses", potential or actual errors.
- Performs other duties as needed to support the Breast Center.
- Ensure patient care is delivered and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional regulatory standards. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate population as outlined in the job description and competencies.
- High School Diploma, experience working in medical back office.
- Excellent communication skills; customer focused; excellent attention to detail; able to prioritize.
- Basic keyboarding skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Proven ability to interface with all customer levels (physicians, Organizational staff, insurance companies, patients and family members).
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Graduate of a Medical Assistant Program.
- Qualified bilingual or multilingual candidates.
- BLS certification.