POSITION SUMMARY: This internship opportunity will be in the Nuclear Fuels department. Year-round, part-time availability at our Corvallis office is required. The successful candidate will be an entry level engineer working in close collaboration with NuScale engineers to complete a range of general engineering efforts. These efforts may include preparation of engineering deliverables supporting fuel performance, core physics, and core or system thermal hydraulic analyses.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist engineers in performing engineering studies, reports, drawings, calculations, and design documents in areas including fuel performance, core physics, and core or system thermal hydraulic analyses.
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, processes, and criteria in preparation of engineering deliverables.
- Conduct analysis to support development of safety analysis and core design methodologies and software.
- Assist with the development of licensing reports as required for different regulatory processes.
- Effectively communicate with other technical and non-technical disciplines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Is able to create, read, and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, AND ABILITIES:
- Education: Currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering.
- Experience: Ability to understand engineering concepts, principles, theories. Strong technical writing skills. Good communication, computer, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Exceptional organization skills and ability to manage complex projects with multiple work phases.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.