We are looking for a Virtual Design Construction (VDC) Intern who will be based at our main office in Canonsburg, PA, just south of Pittsburgh, PA. This 12-week internship will start in the fall of 2019. This position will have a Monday through Friday work schedule.
The Virtual Design Construction (VDC) Intern supports the Planning Department in the strategy, process, modeling and coordination of projects. The VDC Intern has a basic knowledge of BIM computer applications, 3D design and construction documents.
- Aids in the development of producing, editing and coordinating 3D object-oriented models
- Assists in project-related modeling / CAD requirements with project teams at job startup
- Attends Virtual Construction, Clash Detection and Coordination meetings with supervisor
- Assists in performing a variety of Virtual Construction services (e.g. trade coordination, model-based quantity take-off, and virtual mock-ups)
- Assists in the development of the company's BIM related goals, initiatives, and standards
- Adheres to Lighthouse Electric specific coordination protocols
- Develops new ways to utilize model-based information in various phases of projects
- Performs additional assignments as directed by the supervisor
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrates knowledge of and direct experience in AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks, Microsoft Office, and ability to navigate file sharing sites
- Preferred knowledge of and direct experience in Fabrication, CADmep, and Jobsite Solutions
- Exhibits problem-solving ability and strong sense of urgency
- Possess organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrates competency modeling from a 2D document to produce a model
- Competency reading floor plans, sections and elevations
- A commitment to continual learning and development; the demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate new information, analyze it appropriately and apply it in new situations as they arise
Education & Experience:
- Pursuing an Associate's Degree in Computer Drafting and Design or
- Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift and move intermittently
- Ability to withstand extended exposure to a computer monitor, which may at times be straining on the eyes
- Ability to carry up to 20 pounds
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the physical demands
- Travel is primarily local during the business day
- Chosen applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- Chosen applicant will be subject to a drug screen as a condition of employment.
- No relocation available for this position.