GENERAL SUMMARY: To provide direct patient care and clinical assessment of Orthopedic patients. Works in close cooperation with the Orthopedic Surgeons in the Department. Acts a liaison for nursing and ancillary health professionals. Assists in development and delivery of educational classes for patients and health professionals. Involvement in various research studies.
This position is a clinical role, in the Operating Room and managing peri-operative patients; arthroplasty service. PA's will be rounding on joint patients and scrubbing on total joint cases. 40 hours a week, no call and no weekends.
1. Exemplifies the values of New England Baptist Hospital and the ROSE philosophy.
- Complies with all New England Baptist Hospital policies and the Code of Excellence.
Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
3. Assists Orthopedic Surgeons in surgery:
- Responsible for knowledge of and adherence to all policies and procedures of the NEBH Operating Room.
- Participates in those surgeries assigned by the Orthopedic Service physicians, the chief PA and the Chief Resident.
4. Coordinates and provides clinical support for the NEBH Orthopedic Surgeons:
- Rounds on Orthopedic patients.
- Performs Histories and Physicals, as needed.
- Initiates appropriate laboratory tests, diagnostic studies, and writes prescriptions within parameters of license.
- Makes accurate identification of problems/diagnoses based on correct interpretation of findings.
- Communicates with primary physician the plan of care being initiated or discontinued.
- Assists patients in meeting health needs by identifying existing or potential problems, exploring available alternatives and providing support to the patient to make an informed decision regarding health care.
- Acts as a liaison between Medical Staff and patients, and between Medical Staff and other allied health professionals.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating patient demographics.
- Maintains current, accurate, medical record documentation including discharge summary page 1's.
- Participates in the Physician Assistant and orthopedic department Improvement initiatives, Education and Research Programs.
- Assists with the development/expansion of protocols, clinical pathways and physician orders.
- Interfaces with the Case Manager and Orthopedic Surgeons to identify complex patients pre-operatively. Works closely with Case Manager in identifying individual patient variances from established protocols throughout the course of care.
5. Assists with the implementation of an inpatient pain management program:
- Evaluates on a daily basis the effectiveness of the pain plan in meeting the patient's needs with the pain management team.
- Responds to calls for orthopedic consultation from all areas, including nursing units, Pre-Admission Screening, the Ambulatory Care, PACU and Bond Center.
- Assists residents and medical records staff with accurately documenting comorbidities in the medical record.
- Participates in the training and education of Physician Assistants and medical students.
- Attends grand rounds in Orthopedics weekly.
- Assists attending physicians with research and presentations as time allows.
- Attends daily morning lectures in orthopedics as time permits.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team for the development of educational materials for patients and allied health professionals.
- Assists in the development of continuing education conferences for health professionals.
- Assists with data collection for research studies.
8. Plans time away from work appropriately:
- Arrives and leaves at appropriate times based on OR schedule and patient load on floors.
- Uses unplanned earned time appropriately (Based on full time hours. Standards are pro-rated for part-time employees based on agreed hours).
10. Performs other related duties as required.
11. Participates in annual safety review.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum Formal Education: Graduate of an accredited PA program or masters prepared in an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Must be licensed and certified in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a PA or be licensed as an RN, NP in Massachusetts and certified by the ANA as a Nurse Practitioner. Registered with the DPH and DEA for prescriptive privileges.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: BLS