Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America's most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby's rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College's deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
Complementing its focus on a classical, broad-based liberal education that requires deep inquiry, hones critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and encourages curiosity and lifelong learning, Colby now integrates a set of universally available experiences into the academic program. Several opportunities will allow students to connect their education to the world and the great challenges of the 21st century while preparing them for future success in graduate schools and careers. DavisConnects guarantees a global experience for all students, making Colby the first leading liberal arts college to provide funding for every student to spend time abroad. Ultimately, Colby will connect every student to a facilitated and funded set of internships and research experiences, establishing Colby as a leader in global education and offering all Colby students an exceptional and unique set of opportunities that will deepen their education and improve their life outcomes.
Colby College is seeking a new advisor for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) professions to join the DavisConnects team, participating in a comprehensive student advising model, primarily driven by the goal of integrating universal experiences (research, internships, and global) into the student experience. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic and visionary culture to advise students and graduates who express interest in exploring, preparing for, and pursuing higher education and professions related to Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Mathematics, Neuroscience, and Physics. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary advisor to students and alumni interested in areas of STEM professions, helping them assess interests, explore opportunities, and refine a plan leading to post-graduate success
- Partner closely with the DavisConnects Advisor for Pre-Health in the development of post-graduate opportunities as well as co-advising of students where appropriate
- Advise first-year students as a member of the DavisConnects advising team
- Advise students enrolled in the dual-degree engineering programs on research and internships
- Facilitate workshops and manage programs for target populations to include industry focused alumni panels, off-campus treks (off-campus opportunities to explore career industries across the U.S.) and topical workshops
- Advise and critique on related STEM professions resumes and cover letters, as well as facilitate mock interviewing and networking opportunities
- Advocate for underrepresented groups and diversity in STEM professions
- Assist students preparing for graduate school and fellowship applications
- Collaborate with the employer engagement team to cultivate national and international student research and internship opportunities
- Build and nurture relationships with academic departments, student groups, and other campus entities
- Work with College Advancement colleagues to leverage contacts for the purpose of enhancing student programming and experiential opportunities
- Build advantageous relationships with related graduate programs in the U.S. and abroad, scientific research institutions, and corporations leading to opportunities and programs to the benefit of STEM students
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and identify areas of opportunity growth for students and young alumni
- Serve as a representative for DavisConnects at various campus events including Admissions and Alumni events
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice