1. Working under the general supervision of the Technical Services Librarian, is responsible for the arrangement and description of manuscripts and archival collections, chiefly in English, primarily from the 18th century, in accordance with departmental and national standards. Also processes small groups of related 20th-century material. Prepares online finding aids (biographical / historical statement, scope and content note, and appropriate listing of materials).
2. Creates original catalog records (description, subject analysis and name-authority control) & corrects or enhances existing records in accordance with MARC and other archival and library standards for entry into national and local databases. Keeps abreast of revisions in cataloging rules and trends and applies new rules, interpretations, and techniques as appropriate. Creates authority records following NACO standards and contributes them to the national authority file.
3. Devises and implement strategies to incorporate legacy indexes of LWL manuscript contents into online finding aids and/or catalog records.
4. Advises on conservation and preservation strategies for materials, including housing strategies and prioritization of treatment.
5. Recommends digitization priorities for access and preservation; drafts associated descriptive metadata.
6. Assists research services staff to ensure access to in-process manuscript collections.
7. May assist with in-person class visits and public presentations to promote awareness and use of manuscript collections.
8. Supervises support staff and student assistants assigned to manuscripts processing and related tasks.
9. Drafts press releases and other publicity vehicles to inform research communities of the content and availability of collections.
10. Participates in Library planning activities and committees and is active professionally.
This position will be assigned a rank of Librarian 2 or 3 based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments. Librarian ranking information can be found at: http://bit.ly/YULRanksPromotions
Application review will begin June 30, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.