The network engineer is responsible for network design, implementation, documentation, maintenance, support and operation of multi-office and multi-datacenter service provider networks. The network engineer must be proficient with a variety of routing, switching, firewall gear and supporting systems as well as with the network theory as well as best practices for implementation. This individual must be able to work effectively and efficiently both as part of a team or as an individual. The candidate will work closely with other Networking team members as well as the Systems team, NOC, and other teams to ensure the high reliability and availability of all systems and services. The successful candidate will be proficient in proactively identifying and solving new and evolving challenges, will be a self starter and will be able to work individually with a minimum of supervision as well as in a group in the role of contributor or leader. As a secondary responsibility this individual will be expected to provide consultation and education to adjunct departments to support company initiatives between departments. As such the network engineer must also have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the network infrastructure is properly maintained and sized to ensure the highest availability and reliability for all systems and services.
- Provide consultative services to other departments to assist in their project design, implementation, and network related exit business decisions.
- Assist in planning and executing complex changes within the framework of the company's change control process.
- Security Systems - The design, implementation and support of business security systems.
- Top level networking support of customers across all product lines
- Assist in creation of product support and training documentation
- Advanced Network/VoIP troubleshooting
- Assist with evaluation and integration of acquired networks
- BS in Engineering or Computer Sciences and/or equivalent hands-on experience
- A graduate degree or equivalent higher education or equivalent hands-on experience resulting in a demonstrated mastery of a professional or technical field is desirable - but not required.
- 6-8+ years' experience in medium and large scale network environments (Data center or access service provider experience strongly preferred)
- Advanced networking knowledge in the following areas:
- IPv4/IPv6 Routing and subnetting
- Network switching
- Firewall configuration, operation, and troubleshooting
- Dynamic Routing Protocols
- VLANs and QinQ
- Layer 2 Loop Mitigation
- Best practices and the application there of
- Proven track record of delivering complex projects on schedule
- Knowledge of SIP and RTP Protocols, both as defined in the standards and as used in practice
- Analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and as part of a group while effectively prioritizing tasks
- Must be able to work in a 24x7 environment (on-call rotation) and respond promptly to after hours incidents.
- Strong Experience with Enterprise Linux servers in both a physical and virtualized environment (RedHat, CentOs)
- Proficient with scripting in Linux and Windows.
- Must have the ability to use a computer, associated software products (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and/or Outlook), and the Internet.
- Must have the ability to use specialized software products which includes:
- Microsoft VISIO
- GPG or similar public key encryption toolset
- Must have the ability to manage or implement large and complex networks
- Must have the ability to design large and complex networks for implementation.
- Detailed knowledge of operation of:
- Cisco IOS-XE
- Cisco IOS-XR
- Advanced level software or hardware training is required:
- Network security.
- The ability to counsel, consult, mentor, and transfer technical knowledge to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to identify and evaluate the impacts of new technologies on the business, while championing the technical direction, corporate approach and methodologies for those technologies
- Knowledge of MySQL, PHP, PERL, PYTHON and similar are a plus
- Adherence to Momentum policies ethics and integrity
- Excellent project management skills
- Minimal direct supervisory responsibilities. Must be able to coordinate the activities of various internal and external resources to meet objectives in a leadership role.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with the ability to explain technical concepts in simple and understandable terms to a layperson
- The successful candidate must be a self-starter who is able to work with a minimum of direct supervision but must also be able to work efficiently and effectively when collaborating as part of a team
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills are required
- The ability to produce clear and concise documentation and diagrams is desired
Employee must be available to work overtime as required, including some nights and weekends. Employee must also be able to travel on occasion to other company and customer locations. Must adhere to Company policies and procedures. Regular attendance is essential (i.e. is consistently at work and on time).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work performed requires occasional physical activity 10-25% of the time.
- The job involves some intermittent lifting, pulling and pushing of 15-25 pounds as well as some stooping, crawling and kneeling.
- Sustained periods of standing or walking may be required.
- Manual dexterity to complete basic physical tasks such as filing, operating copy machines and mail room equipment, etc.., is essential.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also be required to perform other reasonably related duties and tasks, in accordance with business needs, as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management personnel.