Citizens Academy Schools
The Citizens Academy (CA) Schools are a cluster of three high-performing college preparatory elementary schools (Citizens Academy, Citizens Academy East, Citizens Academy Southeast) within the Breakthrough Schools network. Breakthrough Schools is a nationally recognized network that was rated best CMO network in Ohio by the 2017 CREDO study at Stanford University.
The CA schools serve nearly 1200 Cleveland students in grades K-5, 95% of whom are students of color with over 80% of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch. CA students have successfully outperformed their Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) counterparts within their respective neighborhoods in terms of student achievement test scores.
The CA mission is to develop "learners who exemplify academic excellence and responsible citizenship". The CA vision is for every student to graduate from college and become a productive and civically engaged member of society. The CA schools have a transformative school culture, referred to as " The Citizens Academy Way (The CA Way)". "The CA Way" is a set of high academic and behavioral expectations that promote a sense of ambition, personal responsibility, and a ‘no excuses' attitude in all of the students.
The K-5 CA schools feed Citizens Leadership (CL) middle schools serving grades 6-8. Two of the CA schools (Citizens Academy East and Citizens Academy Southeast) are located on the same campus as the CL middle schools. CL middle schools are EL (Expeditionary Learning) schools with a strong emphasis on social justice and experience based learning.
The Principal (Citizens Academy East) is responsible for the overall academic outcomes of all students and works with the Model Education Leader to ensure the school's adherence to its mission and to set short and long term goals.
The Principal is responsible to deliver on the following goals:
- Lead the instructional vision for the school to ensure academic excellence and responsible citizenship
- Deliver academic achievement results
- Build and develop talent in staff members through the evaluation system
- Create and maintain an outstanding school culture for students and faculty
- Engage parents and families
The responsibilities of the Principal in which he/she will be evaluated include:
- Provide professional leadership to execute school mission and vision
- In collaboration with School Leaders, ensure that the school develops and implements academic policies, programs and staffing to fulfill its mission
- Serve in the capacity of instructional leader for the school: visible throughout the day; guide the curriculum; ensure learning environment and classroom instruction maximize student learning
- In concert with Schools Leaders, maintain ongoing, frequent, and open communication with staff, families, and the board
- Motivate and professionally develop staff and implement staff development based on student assessment data and the assessed needs of staff
- Implement all components of the CA/OTES Teacher Evaluation System and CA OPES Assistant Principal Evaluation System: goal setting; scheduling and conducting walkthroughs, informals, formals; improvement plans, professional development plans; student growth measures; eTPES; supervise leadership teams' involvement in evaluation
- Establish academic, behavioral and attendance goals that reflect high expectations; regularly reviews student academic, behavior, and attendance data to monitor progress towards goals and implement programmatic changes as necessary
- Champion continuous improvement while at the same time meet the educational and social/emotional needs and maintain positive relationships with all students and families
- Work to foster a nurturing, safe school culture and a learning community that nurtures and supports students, family, staff and diversity
- Work with the Assistant Principal to create a discipline plan, including behavior plans, interventions and consequences, that support the citizenship curriculum
- Work with the Model Operations Leader on the preparation and implementation of, and adherence to Policies and procedures that guide, track and/or document the activities of the school: this includes but is not limited to management of school records and resources as necessary and school compliance with ODE and other applicable laws and regulations
- Oversee the development and implementation for new Board approved programs.
- Supervise, evaluate, hire and terminate instructional staff with the academic leadership team and the Model Education Leader
- Oversee the successful execution of all school programming
- Build curriculum which reflects the mission, values and culture of the school and is aligned with the State Common Core
- Set the school year calendar with input from other Model Principal(s), the Model Education Leader, and the Model Operations Leader
- Work with the Enrollment Coordinator to ensure school meets enrollment targets
- Provide budget input to the Model Operations Leader around instructional staffing and expenses for approval by the Board
- Oversee external relations, including facilitating partnerships with the community, the Ohio Department of Education, and other key entities involved with the school with support from the Management Company
- Attend all board meetings and grade level team meetings on a regular basis
- Supervise academic leadership team members
- Keep abreast of successful instructional methodologies and practices and share with staff
- Provide staff with multiple open channels for both giving and receiving feedback
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred
- Valid Ohio teaching license required
- Minimum of three to five years teaching or leadership experience in urban elementary education required
- Passion for vision and mission of Breakthrough Schools
- Personal commitment to high expectations and the ability to inspire others to pursue the same
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Excellent oral, written and verbal communication skills with varied audiences
- Strong communication, organizational, public relations and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet deadlines, problem solve and work independently
- Respected presence and ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
- Demonstrate ability to work as a team member and foster collaboration
- Relentlessness - doing whatever it takes to ensure success
- Understanding of best practices in core content areas
- Experience coaching instructional staff through modeling and support
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Compensation packages are competitive and commensurate with experience. Breakthrough Schools offer a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision, life and disability coverage. Employees are also eligible to participate in the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS) or the School Employees Retirement System of Ohio (SERS). We have an innovative culture of professional growth and development. Our Breakthrough GRO Program (Growth, Recognition, & Opportunities) offers professional development, performance-based compensation and career pathways to all employees across all our schools.
Breakthrough Schools is an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.