IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all of our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 45,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you - with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About our region:
Austin is a vibrant city filled with a rich cultural heritage and is ranked as the #1 Best Place to Live for the second year in a row by U.S. News & World Report. The city of Austin is the state capital and holds the ranking as the 11th largest city in the United States. Currently, Austin is home to 10 of IDEA's schools and serves nearly 5,000 students at campuses in Austin, Kyle, and Pflugerville.
In a city that is a hub for knowledge, IDEA is working to support the community through education, which is the single most effective anti-poverty strategy we possess as a nation. This is why we focus on AP courses for all students, college acceptance, and matriculation. Only 1 in 8 Austin students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. Our goal is to add 16 more schools over the next 4 years, including IDEA's first health professions school, in support of our mission of college for all, positioning us to serve approximately 13,000 students by 2022.
Lead/founding teacher for MS instrumental music program at IDEA Kyle and IDEA Parmer
Park Middle School. This position will be responsible for teaching wind, brass, percussion instruments,
appropriate levels of music theory, performance, style, interpretation, and vocabulary,
and organizing public performances to display student achievement. This is a full-time, hourly,
Co-Teacher position. This position will teach during the school day between 10:00am and 2:00pm at
IDEA Kyle and after school from 3:30p-6:00pm at IDEA Parmer Park. This position is likely to develop into a
full time salaried position at a campus after one year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES NOTE:
1. Provides leadership for the instrumental music program at IDEA Kyle and Parmer Park.
2. Coordinates assigned activities with the school calendar. Supervises all assigned activities and performances. Plans
and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding
of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
3. Helps establish, strengthen, and implement music curriculum in grades 6-7.
4. Helps develop and coordinate off-season activities (e.g. summer programs, etc.).
5. Provides support for Music Department participation at extracurricular events including concerts, sporting events, pep
rallies, parades, UIL, ASW, graduations, and community events.
6. Leads the implementation of Music Department trips in accordance with district policy and regulations as well as student
interest and ability. Arranges transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events.
7. Supports Music Department booster club activities.
8. Develops auditions for the Music Department; informs administration and participants of final selections, and enforces
9. Directs the planning, rehearsing, and directing of musical experiences for the school and community with a minimum
of four (4) evening (non-athletic) performances per school year.
10. Maintains an equipment inventory as directed. Assists with the cleaning and repair of instruments as directed.
11. Communicates with business clerk regarding ordering supplies and materials necessary for the Music Department.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR CERTIFICATIONED
1. Degree in music education strongly preferred
2. One year teaching (or student teaching) strongly preferred
3. Demonstrates expertise in knowledge and teaching of instrumental music.
4. Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and
abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
5. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as deemed appropriate or acceptable.
6. Spanish proficiency is a plus.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Maintains appropriate confidentiality.
2. Promotes a harassment-free environment, effective working relationships, and teamwork.
3. Ability to utilize office equipment, computers, and software especially as systems are upgraded.
4. Ability to learn, at a reasonable level, new instruments in order to teach beginners.
5. Reacts well under pressure, balance multiple demands at one time, and work with frequent interruptions.
6. Ability to work independently with minimum supervision, and use independent judgement.