At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all of our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 45,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you - with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
Role Mission: The Child Nutrition Program (CNP) Nutrition Analyst is a key supporter of the CNP Director of Nutrition and serves as the hub of data and information specifically driving menu standards. The Nutrition Analyst serves as an integral member of the Child Nutrition Program (CNP) and Nutrition Team by helping develop and analyze school menus and data spreadsheets that maximize nutritional content and cost effectiveness of meals, meal participation, consumption and waste, and compliance with state agencies in an effort to ensure that IDEA becomes the healthiest school district in the nation. This person is a technically savvy individual with a clear understanding of financial and nutritional goals. They will be responsible for leading sophisticated consumption and creation of data reporting, analytics and visualization practices to drive department decisions. S/he is responsible for understanding department systems, business processes, reporting and analytics needs to accomplish goals and to assist the development and execution of the data collection and reporting strategies to maximize nutritional content and participation efforts.
- 100% schools are operational by the first day of school.
- Maintain accurate records and data on campus and regional team readiness for the first day of school.
- Support the ordering/budgeting process for cafeteria managers leading up to the first day of school so that ordering is in line with established menu requirements.
- Serve as the primary accountability partner and liaison to ensure all Nutrition Team tools are updated and available to all CNP staff on the HUB.
- Ensure 100% of campuses meet the 80% breakfast participation, 85% lunch participation, and 10% snack or supper participation goal by last day of school
- Develop trainings on participation initiatives and best practices for campus CNP managers throughout the academic year
- Monitor the weekly CNP dashboard to identify campuses with opportunities to increase student participation
- Conduct strategy, tactical and operational meetings with campus CNP managers to improve participation
- Hold campus CNP managers accountable for participation activities that drive goal achievement
- Develop standardized deliverables that campus CNP managers can use to drive meal participation including: parent, community and staff communication.
- Ensure the district menu meets an average food cost for each region for breakfast, lunch, snack, and supper.
- Support the Director of Nutrition in developing and continuously improving a tool that tracks local, regional, and national budgets for food acquisition.
- Maintaining the tool created and working to improve processes in tracking and reporting.
- Develop a clear understanding of best practices for food purchasing that balance food quality and financial stewardship
- Manage impact of food selection on overall budget and flag implications and recommendations for national, regional, and local teams.
- Ensure 100% of commodities entitlement is fully integrated in the menu and monies are depleted by Last Day Of School (LDOS)
- Support the Director of Nutrition in tracking, processing, and synthesizing participation data in support of participation goals.
- Support the Director of Nutrition in the development of tools for tracking consumption on the campus, regional, and national level; setting benchmarks and establishing goals; and the overall strategy for increasing food consumption.
- Maintain the tools, systems, and processes for tracking participation and consumption to ensure accurate and timely data is readily available for internal and external reporting.
- 100% of campuses are meeting Healthy Eating Index (HEI) goals/benchmarks on a quarterly basis.
- Research local, regional, and national Healthy Eating Index data for IDEA comparison.
- Identify areas for growth and support Director of Nutrition in making sound judgement calls to improve food quality and consumption while keeping to established budget goals.
- Track HEI trends for local, regional, and national analysis in support of the overall strategic plan of the Nutrition and greater CNP team.
- Curate and share best practices for improving HEI scores from both internal and external exemplars.
- We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Mission Focus - focuses on IDEA's core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results - holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Managing Others to Deliver Results - leads team to achieve measurable and ambitious results
- Problem Solving - able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Coaching & Developing - develops team through formal and informal methods; makes professional development a top priority
- Communication - effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement - proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: Degree in Nutrition, culinary, dietetics, public health, business, marketing, statistics, or related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Experience: Proficient at Microsoft Office software. Experience working with large data sets and statistical software platforms (SAS, SAS, or similar). Previous experience with project management is a preferred. Minimum of one year of school nutrition or food service experience preferred.
- At least two years' experience in a supervisory role
- Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): Registered Dietician Preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to implement policy and procedures and analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and report departmental information.
- Planning, organization and follow up skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects sensitive to deadlines and changing environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, presentation experience.
- Innovative problem solver with the ability to influence and create partnerships.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software and statistical analysis software.
- History of innovation and initiative.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.