Provides general office support with a variety of clerical and clinical activities and related tasks. The medical assistant will be responsible for answering incoming calls, directing calls to appropriate associates, requisition of supplies, front and back duties.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Must be able to handle a high volume outpatient clinic setting. Will perform the following duties throughout the entire clinic:
- Handling and answering external as well as internal phone calls and transferring calls to the appropriate departments
- Scheduling/registering and transferring patients
- Obtaining necessary consent for treatment/procedures
- Handling data entry tasks
- Collecting co-payments and take payments to appropriate department
- Verifying insurance if necessary
- Daily perform other related clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, filing and collating
- Filing and maintenance of medical records and documents
5. Administrative duties that may have responsibilities include:
- Ensures that all critical labs are reported to the appropriate person according to policy
- Preparing patient charts and exam rooms before physician arrives and after clinic sessions
- Assists during patient exams
- Order labs as requested and certain labs to receive blood draws
- Explain hospital admission procedures
- Drawing blood and take vital signs
- Collecting urine samples and sending them for diagnosis
6. Provides callers with information such as company address, directions to the company location, company fax numbers, company website, and other related information.
7. Once a week ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office and medical supplies.
8. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Privacy Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
9. Other duties as assigned and help with other departments if needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Prefer 6 months to 1 year of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Willing to train a new graduate of Medical Assistant Program
American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification is required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Familiar with ICD-9 coding
- MA Certificate or PCT or CNA
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to follow direction and manage change effectively.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Computer knowledge
- Medical assistants must have good communication skills and must be caring towards patients
- They should be willing to work under pressure
- They must be understanding and answer all questions of the patients as simply as possible
- They must use discretion while maintaining patient confidentiality
They must be in a good health and have a positive personality