The Patient Care Technician, under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse, assists with providing care and delegated activities of treatment to patients with renal failure. This position performs duties as assigned by the Charge Nurse and Registered Nurse.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and tasks may be assigned.
- Obtain blood samples for laboratory analysis as required to complete physician orders.
- Perform duties at all times under the supervision of a Charge Nurse and within limitations established by and in accordance with company policy and procedures, applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Use appropriate safety measures including personal protective equipment as necessary.
- Clean, disinfect, and rinse dialysis machines in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Prepare machines for hemodialysis treatments.
- Obtain pre and post treatment weights of patients per protocols.
- Safely initiate and terminate dialysis treatments per center protocol, and within scope of practice and as allowed by state regulations.
- Monitor patients during dialysis treatments.
- Mix acids and bicarbonate according to protocol.
- Complete water testing on dialysis machine at the beginning of each treatment day and as directed by the Administrator. Complete/document quality control logs throughout the day and after all treatments, as required.
- Participate in staff meetings as required. Attend in-service and continuing education offerings in compliance with company policy and procedure.