Respiratory Care Intern ** Student **- PRNRole Purpose:
Under the general direction of the Respiratory Therapy Director, performs various types of respiratory treatments for patients in the hospital. Makes rounds and checks on equipment, keeping inventory on equipment, seeing that equipment is cleaned and serviceable. Performs some testing and treatment to various outpatients. Answers emergency calls for respiratory equipment according to accepted norms in order to render service to patients who are in need of therapeutic respiratory treatment.Role Responsibilities:
1. Provides for and monitors oxygen therapy utilizing proper equipment and technique. Ensure that equipment is in proper working order by providing repairs, routine maintenance, and cleaning.
2. Administers respiratory therapy by utilizing aerosol generators, IPV machines, incentive spirometer, and chest physiotherapy. Enforces safety standards by informing personnel, patients, and visitors of the precautions.
3. Visits all assigned patients to safely and effectively provide therapy as ordered, to ensure that equipment is functioning properly, to ensure that proper technique is followed, and to assess patient progress. Records patient clinical and technical data and documents all treatments, procedures, patient assessments, following department policies and procedures. Uses department computer systems appropriately to accurately record patient therapy/diagnostic tests and assessments; consults with Supervisor or Director about situations requiring additional expertise, assistance, or management decision. Writes legibly.
4. Develops care plans and modifies therapy following established guidelines and or protocols. Notifies physicians and multi-disciplinary team members appropriately. Operates equipment per department policy and procedures and sets and modifies all parameters per physician orders and protocols. Follows written procedure established for all respiratory therapy services and consults with supervisor or director if variance from procedure occurs or is indicated.
5. Is familiar with fire, disaster, Code Blue plans and participates when necessary.
6. Performs additional patient monitoring as assigned.
7. Physical assessment is age appropriate. Develops plan of care which is age appropriate. Administers age appropriate therapies and monitors response to these therapies. Maintains technical competence necessary to provide quality care to age specific patient population Uses equipment that is appropriate for the age of the patients being treated.
8. Performs other duties as requested.Minimum Qualifications:
- Second year respiratory care student.
- Currently in enrolled and in good standing in an accredited respiratory therapy program.
- Maintain over-all GPA 3.0
- Normal experience gained during Respiratory Therapy training program along with the usual internship requirements and competencies.
- Must have thorough knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of the theory behind all equipment used and the diseases they are used for in order to make routine decisions and keep Director informed of action taken
- Must be professionally proficient in the application of respiratory therapy diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Work collaboratively, and basic computer skills.