USC's Graduate Career Services within the Marshall School of Business is seeking a career advisor and career coach to join its team.
The Career Advisor, Specialized Masters will advise and work closely with students from a variety of graduate business programs and student organizations to deliver appropriate job candidate preparation activities, such as communication skills, networking, interviewing, resume writing and career action plans.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Communicates and develops strong working relationships with graduate business students in both Master and MBA programs, ranging in age/experience from early 20's to senior executives
- Effectively interprets and discusses the results of personality assessment tools as it relates to career management and decision making; guides individuals toward appropriate employment opportunities and helps them prepare for the challenges and competition students face within a top-tier business school recruitment environment
- Understands and analyzes company business models, hiring trends and future employment opportunities
- Supports the management and expansion of corporate partnerships with domestic and international companies
- Communicates with human resource professionals to understand human capital demands in order to translate industry trends into an effective outreach strategy
- Supports the execution of outreach visits as well as networking and hiring events attended by students, alumni and employers
- Educates and trains students on the aptitude and skill necessary to take advantage of opportunities within the corporate and non-profit sectors
- Designs and delivers career-related education in classroom settings
- Works collaboratively with Graduate Career Services staff, faculty, student services and admissions staff
- MBA or professional graduate degree, business or psychology
- 5- 7 years in the direct advising and coaching of individuals with a track record of delivering successful results
- Strong understanding of current recruiting and employment trends across a variety of functions, including marketing, finance, business analytics, supply chain, and consulting services; ability to advise Marshall Masters and MBA students on effective job search strategies and techniques across all areas
- Understands the difference between advising and coaching and applies both as required by all students regardless of background and experiences
- Knowledge and experience with behavioral interviewing and personalized search techniques for summer internships and full-time positions is a requirement
- Knowledge and experience with technical interviewing is a plus, including case style interviewing and interviewing for highly technical roles
- Demonstrates significant comfort level with technology, including CRM systems and career management platforms
- Strong interest and ability to drive innovation
- Willingness to stay current on global business trends
- Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
- Minimum Experience: 1 year
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Related education and experience in counseling and career services and advisement
Required Documents and Additional Information
- Resume and cover letter required. Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of five calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
- The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Why join the USC Marshall School of Business?
The USC Marshall School of Business is ideally positioned to address the challenges of a rapidly changing business environment and is ranked as one of the country's top schools for accounting, finance, marketing, consulting, entrepreneurship and international business studies.
USC Marshall builds on the unique opportunities that stem from its Los Angeles location on the Pacific Rim, its interdisciplinary and impactful research, the momentum generated by the University of Southern California, and the unparalleled engagement of the Trojan Alumni Family. With ready access to industries defining the new business frontier, including bio-technology, life sciences, media, entertainment, communications and healthcare, this vast network offers USC Marshall graduates exceptionally strong support for success in the global marketplace.
For more information on the USC Marshall School of Business, visit: www.marshall.usc.edu.