POSITION TITLE: Group Fitness Instructor - In-Session (Tai Chi)Interested parties must apply online at http://www.kroccenterhawaii.org/careers.html
DEPARTMENT: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (Kroc Center Hawaii)
SUPERVISOR: Health & Wellness Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
CLASSIFICATION: Part Time, On Call, Hourly
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional, and physical regeneration of all people.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
KROC CENTER HAWAII VISION: Kroc Center Hawaii is a community center where families, individuals and relationships thrive in the name of Jesus.
The Group Fitness Instructor provides group fitness instructions, monitors, educates participants on fitness and safety, and maintains a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for class participants.
The Group Fitness Instructor will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army, which will be evident in his or her professional life and the manner in which he or she represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school graduate or GED.
2. One year's experience in group fitness instructions and program management.
3. Must be at least 18 years of age.
4. Certified Instructor (ACE, AFAA) or equivalent.
5. Current CPR and AED course completion card (may be acquired after employment)
Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be accepted.
Bachelor's degree in a fitness related field.
ACSM Health Fitness Instructor and/or a primary group fitness certification (ACE, AFAA, NETA).
1. Explain and enforce safety rules. Educate participants concerning safe exercise techniques and constantly monitoring safety.
2. Provide a fun and safe workout through one or more specialty group exercise classes. Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
3. Responsible for following up with proper class participation reporting procedures.
4. Ensure payments are made for classes requiring payments.
5. Responsible for proper reporting unsafe studio conditions to management.
6. Greet, introduce and welcome participants. Acquaint new participants with class procedures. Deliver the class in a fun and interesting manner. Stay after class to answer questions and interact.
7. Teach scheduled classes, beginning and ending on time; provide adequate warm-up, exercises, stretching, and cool down.
8. Provide management with appropriate records concerning participation, member information, etc.
9. Monitor proper form and technique using positive reinforcement. Instruct clients on effective workout methods; explains proper techniques, demonstrates exercises; identifies different muscle groups, and teaches appropriate methods to strengthen specific areas.
10. Teach proper breathing techniques used during physical exertion. Instruct participants in maintaining exertion levels in order to maximize benefits from exercise routines.
11. Assists clients, answers questions, and maintains a positive exercise experience for members and class participants.
12. Ensure coverage of all group fitness classes and obtain substitutes as needed.
13. Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
14. Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the Kroc Center Hawaii.
15. Maintain regular and punctual work attendance.
1. Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude in order to provide excellent customer service.
2. Appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity. Able to work with individuals with special limitations or needs.
3. Able to provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for all participants.
4. Able to work with limited supervision, and work in a team setting with other professionals.
5. Exercise good judgment and comfortable taking initiative with projects.
6. Strong organizational skills and able to multi task.
7. Able to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure.
8. Able to maintain a self-motivated and self- directed schedule.
9. Detail oriented and able to take projects from beginning through completion.
10. Respond to crisis situations in a calm and effective manner and remain calm when resolving problems using good judgment.
11. Must possess the self-discipline necessary to perform repetitive tasks without lowering quality of work.
The position requires a high degree of energy, person must be physically fit and have the endurance to complete the workout. The position requires sitting; climbing and/or balancing; stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crouching and/or crawling; standing; walking; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; use of vision; pushing/pulling/lifting/carrying 50-75 pounds and occasionally more than 75 pounds. This employee may also be required to work weekends and evenings.
The position requires talking to co-workers, clients, vendors; requires written communication to and from co-workers, clients, vendor; talking on the telephone; requires responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers, clients, and vendors; requires training/giving verbal and written instructions; requires receiving verbal and written instructions; requires writing/composing written language; requires reading; requires visiting/working at other worksites; requires communication via the latest technologies.
This position requires the ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The position also requires the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the environment is occasionally loud. Extended workdays are a frequent occurrence, as are weekends and holidays as needed to support the business.
Most work will be indoors at the temporary Kroc Center Hawaii office in Kapolei, Divisional Headquarters, and at the new Kroc Center Hawaii administration office. There will also be times where this employee will be outdoors at the Construction Site for site visits. Attendance at trainings and conferences, both in Hawaii and on the mainland, may be required. Extensive travel is possible, including air travel, driving long distances, night driving, overnight travel, and extended travel of three days or more.
Cardio and strength training equipment may be needed.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Current CPR and AED certificates may be acquired after employment.
ACSM Health Fitness Instructor and/or primary group fitness certification (ACE, AFAA, NETA).
The candidate chosen for this position must have a valid driver's license and insured transportation.
On an annual basis, employees are required to participate in The Salvation Army's Fleet Safety Program.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to pass a criminal history background check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction(s) will be considered.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.