DescriptionThe Registration Specialist is among the first encounters a customer/family may experience at NMHC. Therefore, a commitment to service that ensures a remarkable customer and family experience is critical to overall success in the role. The registration process assures that customers are correctly identified and all necessary information is recorded. This includes, but not limited to customer identification credentials, demographic information, insurance information and collection of customer liabilities. The Registration Specialist may interact with customers/families of diverse backgrounds and in unusual and unexpected situations. Customer ages may include neonates, infants, children, adolescents, adults and geriatrics. Activities include direct interactions with the customer/families as well as staff/physicians in all of the areas where customers receive care. Much of the work is supported with computer technology, telecommunications technology, and other automated office support systems. Regulatory requirements, hospital policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal law provide the context in which Registration Specialists perform their duties.
Unit/Department Specific (if applicable)
Duties may differ based on registration location. Locations include , Breast Center, Imaging/Radiology, OPC Imaging, Customer Care Center, Emergency Department, Results Pending, Pre-Registration and Bed Placement.
- Lead Responsibilities include performing Bed Placement duties, delegating assigned workflows in various registration areas as directed by supervisor/manager, and ensuring coverage for sick calls by following department protocol and all other accountabilities below.
- Registers customers for services within the EPIC Prelude/ADT application assuring that complete and accurate data and proper identification is achieved, including the scanning of photo ID's, insurance cards, and signed consents.
- Obtains and witnesses required signatures in compliance with regulatory requirements, state and federal laws and hospital policies and procedures, including the Medicare Message, MSPQ and Consent for treatment.
- Obtains and maintains knowledge supporting the registration process including; insurance payers/plans, Medicare requirements, consents for care, confidentiality, bed placement, HIPAA, OSHA, and other regulations.
- Commits to work with peers and co-workers to achieve the performance measurement goals of productivity and accuracy in the registration process.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service by being passionate about NMHC customers and their families and believing they always come first.
- Performs verification of insurance eligibility of customers including, identification of copay, deductible, and coinsurance liabilities and collects appropriate liabilities via credit card, check, or cash. Securely maintains payments received from customers and issues receipts.
- Appropriately identifies and refers customers to Financial Advocates for follow-up account needs
- Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
- The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate position skills list.
- The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
- High school graduate or equivalent required; some college preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to witness the signing of consent forms.
- One year scheduling and/or registration experience in a hospital, clinic or physician's office preferred.
- Previous patient scheduling, registration experience and/or data entry experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to type 40 wpm with acceptable spelling capabilities.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and maintain composure in front of customers/visitors/staff.
- Demonstrated ability to transition from one area to another effectively
- Proficient in the English language.
Additional InformationShift: 11 PM - 7 AM