A temporary position within the Maritime Engineering Operation (MEO) of Alion which prepares a college student for entry into the workforce by providing emphasis on training and gathering experience related to a student's educational discipline in the fields of Marine Engineering. This is achieved by direct involvement in supporting naval and commercial shipbuilding programs.
The position is for college students who are rising sophomores or rising juniors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision provide support to Senior Marine Engineers and Designers, Alion Program Managers or to naval and commercial shipbuilding clients who are responsible for the development, maintenance or modification of surface ship systems and associated subsystems. Duties will vary according to the particular field of the internship. For example, provide design or production and testing support including engineering support for hull, mechanical and electrical systems. This will include but not be limited to the following functions:
- Review initial designs, developments, and analysis of new ships and/or ship systems.
- Assist in development of designs for current and conceptualized ships, systems, and equipment. Evaluate designs for feasibility.
- Review Engineering Change Packages (ECPs) for completeness and provide recommendations.
- Author and/or edit presentations supporting and/or describing ship engineering or process changes
- Assess compliance with regulatory, and standards.
- Interface with stakeholders and cross functional teams to ensure necessary resources are available for ship/system design support.
- Support ship design and occasionally construction oversight and review processes to ensure compliance with product specifications.
- Researches new technology and/or development tools to remain informed of current technology.
- Travel Requirement ~10-20%
- Support a team in resolving technical issues impacting (or have potential to impact) on the design or performance of the ship or ship system.
- May be required to help with research in a particular field for projects and other objectives.
- Performs basic office tasks such as filing, photocopying, faxing and answering phones.
- Assists in arranging meetings, conferences, and project team activities.
- Updates relevant data using database applications.
- Prepares routine reports and creates various documents and electronic information with direction.
- Creates graphs and charts for various projects using spreadsheet and graphics software with direction.
- Assists in answering questions and/or refers inquiry to appropriate person.
- May support staff in assigned project based work and/or manage minor administrative projects.
Education and Experience
Must currently be enrolled as a student in an accredited public or private college or university and be a rising sophomore or Junior.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Good writing, communication and listening skills.
Good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Must be diligent, hardworking and a fast learner.
Desires to gain professional experience and is eager to learn.