Refugee Resettlement Interns work alongside Caseworkers in order to help in some of the most crucial areas of refugee resettlement work. Interns assist with core services including: applying for and enrolling clients in social service programs, school enrollment, medical assistance, apartment set-up, and other case management related tasks.
- Accompany refugee clients on appointments and interviews with community service providers (DHA, Refugee Health Clinics, Social Security Administration, etc.)
- Prepare apartments for incoming refugee families
- Coordinate with Case Management staff to ensure services are being received
- Manage client files and track necessary services
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance as an IRC representative.
- Fulfill any other responsibilities assigned by supervising Case Manager.
Interns will gain experience in the core resettlement program of one of the world's leading refugee agencies, including networking with community providers, managing databases, and assisting in the resettlement of people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Current undergraduate, graduate student, or less than one year out of school
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Punctuality, excellent time management skills, and a flexible schedule
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding client information
- Proficiency in one of the following languages is highly desirable: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Urdu, or Swahili is preferred, but not required
- Office experience a plus, but training will be provided
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal office hours
- Must have driver's license, vehicle, auto insurance and clean driving record
This position reports to the Resettlement Case Worker.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Work related driving is eligible for reimbursement at the charitable mileage rate.
- Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than 2 years post-graduation. Course credit and transcript notation are available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer Specialist.