Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality and customer focused care to patients in a manner which reflects Kaiser Permanente's organizational and nursing mission, vision and values. Provides nursing and administrative support to clinicians and other health care team members to offer a variety of health care services to patients. Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) and indirect (via phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to complex nursing knowledge and skills. As appropriate to the LPN's scope of practice, the LPN is expected to have competent focused/limited nursing assessment and triage skills on routine or self-limiting health conditions, critical thinking, communication, problem-solving and decision-making skills in order to meet patient needs and contribute to a positive care experience and work environment. Performs clinical tasks and procedures under the direction of a clinician, within the scope of the LPN's professional training and individual competency. Works under the clinical supervision of the clinician or registered nurse and under the general direction of the designated supervisor.
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care & are to be performed competently, consistently, accurately & according to established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies & procedures & standards. They are: Prepares & organizes patient's office visit for known reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports, outside reports, etc.) & order entries are ready for clinician review prior to appointment time.
- Performs focused/limited nursing assessment & triage on routine or self-limiting medical conditions as directed by RN/clinician. . Recognizes when to defer to and/or assist with comprehensive assessment for complex medical conditions by RN/clinician. Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts) to identify & address health maintenance/care gaps with patient & alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention.
- Recognizes signs & symptoms of common & routine medical conditions/illnesses, abnormal versus new/existing & implements planned nursing & medical interventions as delegated by RN/clinician.
- Contributes to the development, implementation or modification of the individualized patient's plan of care under the direction of the RN/clinician.
- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinician's exam during rooming-in process .
- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms & educational materials are available & ready for use during visit/procedure. Checks equipment are in safe working order & cleans room after use.
- Provides health teaching/education or advice on routine or self-limiting medical conditions, procedures, tests, surgeries, self-injections, etc.
- Utilizes standardized tools to determine patient's level of engagement in self-care as directed by RN.
- Uses KP HealthConnect & other information systems to document all pertinent data & outcomes of nursing care according to standardized procedures & policies such as & not limited to the use of SBAR, SOAP or APIE, KP HealthConnect smarttools, etc. Updates demographic/historical clinical data gathered in electronic medical record.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Current LPN license in Oregon and Washington. Requires Oregon or Washington license at time of hire. Licenses in both states are required within six (6) months of hire.
- AHA Health Care Provider level CPR certification.
- Demonstrated clinical nursing skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills (Assessment required for external candidates)
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good judgment for decisions
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure
- Final candidate must pass pre-employment language skill assessment administered over the phone by Kaiser Permanente.
- Upon hire, must take the next available Kaiser Permanente Qualified Bilingual Staff (QBS) training for continued employment.
- Two (2) plus years of nursing experience in assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM, OB/Gyn, Surgery, Allergy, Dermatology, Urology, etc.) within an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- IV therapy experience or recent certification preferred.
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system preferred.
- Current working knowledge and clinical skills in providing routine care, education and advice in assigned department's clinical area OR successful completion of appropriate competencies for assigned primary/specialty care department preferred.
PrimaryLocation : Oregon,Portland,East Interstate Medical Offices 3550 N. Interstate
HoursPerWeek : 40
Shift : Day
Workdays : Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
WorkingHoursStart : Varies
WorkingHoursEnd : Varies
Job Schedule : Full-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : SEIU - Local 49
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Patient Care Services (Non RN)
Department : Primary Care
Travel : No
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.