Summary of Responsibility:
Practices professional nursing under the general supervision of the Nurse Director and/or charge nurse, delivering quality patient care through the application of the nursing process; that is, through assessment of patient needs, interdisciplinary planning to meet those needs, direct intervention, evaluation of the effectiveness of the intervention, and readjustment of the plan of care.
1. Prescribes, delegates, and coordinates nursing care, utilizing the nursing process as a framework for administering care:
b.Individualized care planning with measurable goals and expected outcomes
c.Ongoing assessment and care planning in collaboration with other disciplines
d.Participation in discharge planning
2. Participates in the planning, implementation, and coordination of health teaching of the patient, family, and/or significant other.
3. Responds immediately, or within 10 minutes to Patient Call Lights
4. Responds immediately to clinical alarms
5. Conducts bedside handoff in the room on each shift.
6. Demonstrates clinical competence, appropriate judgment, and accountability in the administration of nursing care.
a.Demonstrates increasing ability to identify patient problems, symptoms, abnormal diagnostic data, and their common interrelationships.
b.Assists in the management of patients in stressful, acute, and complex situations.
c.Accurately transcribes and executes medical staff orders.
d.Administers medication and IV fluids safely according to the hospital's policies and procedures.
7. Demonstrates competencies necessary to provide safe and effective care to populations served.
8. Identifies spiritual, cultural, legal, and ethical aspects of care.
9. Completes necessary documentation per departmental and organizational guidelines.
a.Records and reports patient information through appropriate channels
b.Documents and reports unusual events/ occurrences using the hospital incident report.
10. Develops leadership skills in managing the unit in the absence of the Nurse Director
a.Demonstrates ability to supervise and delegate appropriate aspects of care to Nursing Assistants.
b.Complies with established policies and procedures, regulatory and legal requirements of practice.
11. Facilitates the attainment of unit, department, and organizational goals.
12. Continually enhances professional knowledge and skills.
a.Is self-directed in attaining/maintaining competence.
b.Identifies learning needs, establishes goals, and works with preceptor to fulfill goals within established time frames.
c.Completes and maintains Assessment of Competency Tool (ACT).
d.Attends in-services/continuing education programs.
1. Graduate of accredited nursing program
2. Current licensure to practice professional nursing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
3. Clinical experience of 6 months or greater as a Registered Nurse, or re-entry following a period of more than 5 years in which nursing was not practiced.
4. Basic Life Support
This position is located at Carney Hospital, Dorchester MA