This position is responsible for, under the supervision of a Certified Nurse Midwife, providing care to women throughout the lifespan, which includes primary care, annual gynecological care, mental health promotion, prenatal care, and postpartum care in the outpatient setting as well as management of labor, delivery and postpartum recovery in the inpatient setting. This position provides a mentored approach for transition into practice for the new graduate or persons wanting to re-enter into full-scope midwifery practice.Responsibilities
Essential Functions: Under the supervision of a Certified Nurse Midwife, the incumbent:
1. Maintains outpatient clinic practice incorporating full-scope of midwifery practice with emphasis on transition towards independence and full patient load throughout the residency.
2. Management of labor and deliveries with appropriate consultation as clinically indicated.
3. Cares for and manages mother and baby in the recovery postpartum period as well as supporting transition to home. Provided knowledgeable breastfeeding support.
4. Oversight and management of obstetrical emergency cases through the University’s Obstetrical Emergency Services with appropriate collaboration as clinically indicated.
5. Reviews lab results as part of group practice with appropriate mentorship and determines follow-up care as clinically indicated.
6. Maintains medical records and patient charting with utmost concern for patient integrity and quality assurance standards related to this documentation per practice standards.
7. Complies with the ethical principles of Certified Nurse Midwives as published by the American College of Nurse Midwives, the Utah State Licensing Agencies, and with all Birthcare Healthcare policies and procedures at the University of Utah.
8. Participates in didactic seminars, mentorship program, and individual evaluations during each quarterly session.
9. Participates in didactic training for DNP students towards the completion of residency.
This fellowship position is designed for an 8 month duration (with a possible extension up to twelve-months). While no commitment is made for hire at the end of the fellowship period, consideration will be given based on the needs of the practice and the skills demonstrated by the individual throughout the fellowship.Minimum Qualifications
This position requires the candidate to have completed an accredited nurse-midwifery preparatory program as well as successful of the Certified Midwifery Board Exams, and licensure in the State of Utah as a Certified Nurse Midwife (or if licensed out of state, licensure in Utah within 1 month of hire). The candidate should also have an active Utah nursing license by the beginning of fellowship period. This position also requires a current American Heart Association issued Basic Life Support card, or obtain within 1 month of hire.Preferences
Preferred qualifications are familiarity with the philosophy of midwifery practice; a commitment to providing supportive care with respect for human dignity and cultural diversity; commitment to the practice of evidence-based medicine and continuing education; Spanish-speaking not required but beneficial; Applicants should be able to demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.Type Benefited Staff Special Instructions Summary